Our practice includes former federal prosecutors, a former federal public defender, and other attorneys with decades of defense-side litigation experience.
Robbins Russell regularly represents corporations, corporate boards and committees, and individuals in all types of criminal and civil government investigations and in trials and enforcement proceedings. Our lawyers have extensive experience representing clients in matters brought by the Criminal and Civil Divisions of the Department of Justice, United States Attorneys’ Offices around the country, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, Congressional committees, and other federal and state governmental agencies. Our successful track record over nearly two decades in scores of matters is well recognized by our clients.
Our practice includes former federal prosecutors, a former federal public defender, and other attorneys with decades of defense-side litigation experience. In all government investigations, we strive to reach an early and favorable resolution before our client’s involvement is made public. When necessary, however, we will defend our client’s interests at trial and on appeal. Our lawyers have tried more than 70 cases to jury verdict and have litigated dozens of appeals. When parallel civil and regulatory proceedings accompany criminal actions, we often represent clients in those matters too, including defending against federal program debarment and exclusion. We regularly advise our corporate clients regarding compliance programs and internal policies that minimize the risk of becoming the target of a government investigation.
Many of our representations remain non-public and confidential, but some of our work in this area includes:
- Representing a principal of a government contractor charged with bribing a government official, obtaining acquittals on all counts following a federal criminal jury trial in Virginia.
- Representing a former Enron executive, obtaining acquittal on all federal criminal fraud charges following a month-long jury trial, and obtaining dismissal of the related SEC enforcement action.
- Representing a former AIG executive in criminal and SEC investigations of accounting improprieties, obtaining a non-prosecution agreement and no action by the SEC.
- Representing major healthcare providers in federal lawsuits and parallel criminal and civil investigations, involving allegations under the False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Representing major accounting firms and individual auditors in all stages of SEC and PCAOB investigations and enforcement actions, including defending SOX whistleblower actions.
- Representing senior executives at several automotive manufacturers in connection with various DOJ and NHTSA investigations into corporate practices.
- Representing employees at major international banks in connection with several criminal and civil investigations into currency, trading, and anti-money laundering practices.
- Representing foreign and domestic executives in antitrust investigation into alleged price-fixing.
- Representing lobbyists and government officials, including White House personnel, numerous Members of Congress, congressional staff members, a former Cabinet Officer, and the former heads of major federal agencies, in DOJ and Congressional investigations relating to the performance of their official duties.
- Representing corporations in federal and state criminal investigations and a SEC investigation looking into potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other laws related to allegedly improper payments made by participants in the U.N. Oil-for-Food program.
- Representing a former CIA officer in an Espionage Act trial involving alleged leaks of national defense information to The New York Times.
- Representing a former state elected official in a criminal RICO prosecution.
- Serving as appellate counsel in successful criminal appeals in United States v. Hite, 769 F.3d 1154 (D.C. Cir. 2014); United States v. Leguire, 672 F.3d 724 (9th Cir. 2012); United States v. Safavian, 528 F.3d 957 (D.C. Cir. 2008); United States v. e-gold, Ltd., 521 F.3d 411 (D.C. Cir. 2008); United States v. Howard, 517 F.3d 731 (5th Cir. 2008); United States v. Wolff, 2008 WL 123568 (9th Cir. 2008); United States v. Brown, 459 F.3d 509 (5th Cir. 2006); and United States v. Hurwitz, 459 F.3d 463 (4th Cir. 2006).
The firm also regularly defends corporations, large accounting firms, and their directors, officers, and partners in SEC and PCAOB enforcement proceedings. Our successful track record in appearing before the SEC and PCAOB Divisions of Enforcement in scores of matters over nearly two decades is well recognized by our clients, and by the agencies themselves.